Sunday, March 25, 2012

Journal #2


For my second journal entry for Bethel I was assigned a couple questions to answer. Here is it! 

1. What are the most important health-related needs of the people with whom you work?

                  In the area where I live, there are lots of people dealing with diabetes, obesity, and COPD or other smoking-related problems such as emphysema. Many of our regular patients are on oxygen at least during the night, and some ‘round the clock.

2. What societal problems do you think are linked to these needs?
                 
                  West Virginia is the 3rd fattest state according the businessinsider.com and the 4th poorest in the nation according to the Huffington Post. Poverty and obesity often, unfortunately, go hand in hand. As a unit we have discussed this issue. We’ve talked about how the cheaper, processed foods that are more affordable and available are much less healthy than the more expensive organic or less processed alternatives. Government help is available, and a large amount of the Philippi community is on welfare or a part of the WIC program or others like it. Although this is a step in the right direction and definitely helps a lot of people out, it often is not enough. From talking to co-workers and other community members who are a part of these programs, I have gotten the idea that although they do get some assistance, it doesn’t go very far.
                  Philippi does have a garden market that is run by the local food pantry/thrift store that my roommate Renee works at. It is open during the spring, summer and fall. They buy vegetables, baked goods, eggs, canned goods, and fruits from local growers (all community members, not necessarily occupational farmers). It helps bring in a little extra income for people who might be struggling and also supplies the community with fresh goods. Unfortunately, though, it is more expensive to buy at places like the garden market, so that doesn’t help the poorer people I referred to earlier to have more access to fresh foods.
Another health issue that affects the Philippi area is smoking-related issues. There are no statewide smoking bans in West Virginia. There are several counties with varying degrees of smoking bans, but Barbour County, the one I live in, has none. Many people smoke here and a lot of children are exposed to secondhand smoke.
Both obesity and smoking are definitely linked to the lifestyle here. Since smoking is such a common thing, many people start young. Eating, too, is social which I think is a big issue for people. This is true in most societies, though. Hospitality for guests in shown by supplying them with lots of good food, and eating that food shows respect for the hosts.

3. What background of knowledge and skills seems necessary in order to satisfy those needs?

                  I have found that when treating a patient, it is important to consider not only their immediate health concerns, but also their lifestyle and how it affects their health. The medical knowledge is obviously the crucial foundation, but doctors also need to take into account how patients’ daily life will affect their reactions to medication and other treatments they are given while at the clinic. Doctors and other healthcare workers must have the foresight to see beyond just the immediate problem the patient is being seen for at the time.

4. Is addressing the needs of these people or others like them an important part of your life goals?
                 
                  Yes, I think addressing peoples’ health needs is definitely a part of my life goals. Not only do I want my career to be something I enjoy, I want it to be meaningful and be a way for me to help other people. I also have found this year that I really have fun interacting with all the people that come through the clinic and hearing their stories and getting to know them. I am a strong believer in healthy eating and sustainable living, for the health of other humans and the environment. Not only do I strive for this in my own life, but I think education to the public is important too. I think that locally grown and homemade foods, exercise, and simple living are incredibly important. I believe there should be more emphasis on these things in educational programs that are available to everyone.

5. How do you think your scholarly work in college will help move you toward your life goals?

                  My work in college will help give me the foundation I need to be able to serve others who are hurting or sick. Things like understanding societal problems that are often underlying causes of health issues is something that has to be learned through experience, but I know that I need a strong medical background knowledge to be able to properly treat and heal people.                  

1 comment: